Tuesday 26 June 2012

Third Cycle

Third cycle in and I am taking it a little easier than the previous two, I have realised that the 3 days following infusion knock me out quite substantially. I am still getting annoying hiccoughs in this period but I have some drugs to counter the uncomfortable indigestion I was suffering. My drug collection seems ever expanding. Some disappointing news was that I will have to inject myself with Fragmin for the duration of this treatment I was hoping that this would stop after a couple of months, oh well.

Saturday before last was Martha's first holy communion and as has become tradition we went for lunch at Pizza Express afterwards. We had a good time but I found the day knocked me out and I had to go to bed when we got home. I think this was a residual effect of the virus I had had the previous week.

Later in the week Stella and I went to my Aunt Shirley's funeral, the service was very good and the eulogy, done by one of Shirley's sons in law was very moving and poignant.
Interestingly, to me they have always been just Uncle Frank and Aunt Shirley but back in the fifties they toured through France and into Spain on a BSA. This at a time when there were no auto routes with convenient petrol and rest stops and if a British bike made it from London to Johnson's cafe on the A20 in one hit it had outstripped reliability expectations. In my eyes this makes them truly pioneers of European motorcycle touring.

On a slightly down beat, I have felt quite low this week I can't really put my finger on it, everything is positive and with starting the 3rd cycle I feel I am turning a corner. Still, I feel close to tears at times for no apparent reason. I was disappointed at not getting through my medical in June and these last few weeks have been tough emotionally and physically and it may be this that is affecting my moods at the moment. I am hoping that time and a more definitive immediate future path will help clear these 'blues'

5 comments:

  1. This piece of your treatment strikes me as though you are in the last stretch of a marathon. You forget what you've experienced so far and the effort to keep pushing on can get on top of you. Kind of like being 100m from the summit of a mountain and never taking the chance to look back at how far you've come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard, I know you are right and this is exactly what Stella says. To stretch the marathon analogy further I feel I have hit the 'wall'. I am not depressed but very weary with it.

      Delete
  2. wishing you all the best John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come back soon Guv, we all miss you at Tooting. Sounds like you are nearly at the end of the treatment. You have done so much of it already. Best off waiting til the Olympics and tour de France have finished as there is some great tele on. You don't want to be fitting smoke alarms up when the 100m final is on. Ian

    ReplyDelete