Monday 5 November 2012

Plus one week

One week on from completing my chemo and I'm feeling pretty well all things considered. We went to France for the half term, the Somme, returning this weekend, we were very lucky with the weather and had mostly clear sunny days. This break was in complete contrast to the one we had in June in Devon, it was very relaxing, we ate at some very pleasant restaurants, took a trip on a hundred year old steam train and generally had a very easy time.  We went back to St Valery Sur Somme where the kids took these photos:


 

This bar is same one that I am having a coffee in at the beginning of this blog before I started on this journey, I have to say I feel much better in these photos than I did in that first one. I'm still sensitive to the cold and my feet and fingers still feel numb but this seems to be receding slowly.
My toilet habits are becoming more normal, that's to say I only have to empty my 'bag' 2 or 3 times a day. While I was receiving chemotherapy this could be up to 6 or 7 times a day with regular trips to the toilet throughout the night. Overall I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly the side effects of the chemotherapy subside and am looking forward to the continued return to normality. The most frustrating things I get annoyed with ( I'm not a tolerant patient) are how weak I still feel generally and the imposition of the hernia (site of the stoma) on my movements and the uncomfortable fit of my jeans. Small beer I suppose but annoying just the same.
This week I have the particularly unpleasant prospect of a 'contrast enema' , words that can strike fear into the most strident heart, this is to check the site of the tumour surgery to ensure that there isn't any leakage and that the wound has healed. I should be pleased because this is the first stage of the end game but I can't help feeling a little intimidated.

No comments:

Post a Comment