Tuesday 13 March 2012

Sunday Ride to Rye



I took advantage of the decent weather on Sunday and went for a ride on the bike down to Rye. Going early ensured I avoided the traffic and the roads were blissfully empty, free of speed cameras and mostly dry which meant I could let the bike stretch it's legs. When I got there I had a bacon sarnie and a cup of coffee sitting outside the cafe, soaking up the early morning sun. I blasted back home in time for lunch and to watch England narrowly beat France, watching England play rugby is always masochistic and this game was no exception. This was a thoroughly selfish day but will be the last for some weeks to come.

Stella and I went to Zizzi's for lunch on Monday we both gave the usual pizza a body swerve (rugby analogy) and went for shared antipasti for starters and fish dishes for main. The meal was very pleasant and the conversation was around another new arrival to the extended day clan. Hannah is pregnant, while we are both thrilled at this prospect it will make us Grand parents for the fourth time!
This just can't be happening to the 'Peter Pan couple' as my friend Mark refers to us. We still see ourselves as Hansel and Gretel hand in hand lost in the woods, not brother and sister obviously.

And so to today, Tuesday, less than 24 hours before we go to Frimley Park. Mark has volunteered to take Stella and me tomorrow. I am relieved, I would have worried about Stella driving home on her own after dropping me off. I am sure that this is a load off her mind as well. I have already received 'good luck' phone calls and text messages from family and friends, its always nice to know you are in people's thoughts. I don't feel nervous about tomorrow but I am 'stoked' (surfing analogy) about the operation and am already thinking beyond it to recovery, no doubt the nerves will come nearer the time.
There is a scene in 'Jaws'  where Robert Shaw relates his experience of waiting to be rescued from the sea to Rod Schieder and Richard Dreyfuss. He says that its not the days, spent in the water, that are the most frightening but the moments before being rescued. I can relate to this feeling, I have been paranoid about picking up a bug this last week for fear of my operation being cancelled, this has got worse the closer the time has come. To avoid colds I have overdosed on vitamin C, oranges and honey and lemon drinks I have also been drinking precautionary cold remedy drinks. I will only be completely happy when I am prepped and ready to be operated on.
I  have attached a 'Youtube' link to a video presentation of the Da Vinci robot in operation, its interesting but not for the faint of heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgVoN8qNsz0

No comments:

Post a Comment