Tuesday 18 December 2012

Joyeux Noel

Went to the Kent Oncology Centre yesterday to get the results of the CT scan, the waiting area was packed, who would have believed that an oncology centre could have a Christmas rush!
Stella and I waited about an hour  and a half to see the consultant; as we walked into his office he shook our hands and said "the scan is clear" , fantastic news that is only sinking in this evening. The consultation took all of 5 minutes, he discharged me from the oncology department and, as a parting gift (?), sent me for another blood test.
I will have to have a blood test every 6 months and a scan annually, a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Only one hurdle left between me and a surf trip, surgery and recovery in the New Year, I'll wax my board.

I have volunteered to take part in a research programme looking at the genetic structure of people who have suffered with  (bowel) cancer, I feel I want to be involved in the struggle against this terrible disease.

In other news, Stella and I went for a Christmas meal at 'The butcher and Grill' in Battersea with friends from work last night. This proved to be a good way of celebrating our news, we didn't get to bed until 1 o'clock in the morning, far and away my latest night for a long time.

The world suddenly looks a brighter place.

3 comments:

  1. That’s fantastic news, congratulations! I’m so happy for you. Have a very, very merry Christmas.
    Love, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, you don't know me but Lee Drawbridge passed me your blog when I too was diagnosed last year. I have followed your progress discreetly since then, and am very happy to hear your great news, especially at this time of year. It's also good to hear you are helping the research, as this might help many more people. Enjoy this special time with your family and all the very best wishes for the future. Dene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news, John. Merry Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete