Thursday 10 May 2012

One down seven to go

Just returned from Maidstone hospital where I received my first infusion of oxaliplatin. Before the actual drug my PICC line dressing was changed, the line was flushed, then the chemo was infused, the line flushed again and we were given the tablet regimen. This whole process took a withering five hours! Hopefully the next visits will be slightly shorter. I have already felt some of the side effects associated with this drug, extreme pins and needles in my hands and face particularly when exposed to the (relative) cold. This sounds slightly effete but it was so extreme in my fingers that I couldn't pick anything up or open a biscuit wrapper. However, as I write this the effect seems to be wearing off. If  it carries on until the next infusion I have to report as it could lead to more long term/permanent nerve damage.
I was very nervous on arrival but, as throughout my treatment, the staff exude such confidence and knowledge that I found I became much more relaxed (if such a term can be applied to chemotherapy).

Once again I have enough and varied drugs in tablet form to open a small pharmacy.

Here is a picture of me receiving my first infusion and a close up of where the PICC line goes into my left arm. I had the PICC line put in yesterday and despite my fears I must say it was a completely painless procedure.


Note to self: try not to smile in every photo, it gives a distorted impression.


The PICC line enters my inside upper left arm into a vein, up to my shoulder, parallel with my collar bone and enters a large vein in my chest. I don't notice this fixing at all, it doesn't impede movement and I can safely shower with it (although swimming isn't an option). However, for me, the biggest advantage is that I won't have to have any more needles for the duration of this phase. This is because not only can chemo be put in, blood can be taken out. No more sweaty upper lip scenario at blood test time!

Note: After I made this entry Hannah came round and I opened the door to let her in. The relatively cold blast of air caused instant pins and needles in my face, principally mouth and nose, and my hands. This was unlike anything I have experienced before and felt like shards of glass, very uncomfortable. I also had an instant hot flush and felt nauseous, I took two anti sickness tablets as a precaution but on reflection I think this was just a shock reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment