Tuesday 8 May 2012

Normality

The Day household has begun to return to normality, Stella is back at work (working 2 nights a week at a local residential school), the younger kids are back at school and Tallulah is back at Uni. I have coped with getting up early to sort out the kids on the mornings Stella is working.
I crave becoming part of this normality and desperately want to rejoin the world, I still have a few hurdles to jump but am confident that I will.

One evening last week I went for a drink with some friends from work, this was a minor milestone in so far as it is always easier to say no to these invites but the risk is becoming reclusive and brooding. I enjoyed meeting up with them, listening to their woes and stories and generally having a laugh.

Also, last week I went to one of the boy's open evening, what became clear to me was that my situation has impacted on his performance at school. With hindsight (an exact science!) this should have been obvious, ripples in the pond. He hadn't told any of his teachers about me and consequently his down turn was seen as an unrelated performance issue. I explained the situation to his study group teacher and had a long chat to him about the need to let appropriate people know what's going on. He is a clever lad and I am sure he can pull it back.

I am walking 2 or 3 times a week now. I walk the same route around Knole park so that I can gauge my level of fitness. I intend to start doing some different, more taxing routes in the near future.

This week is a heavy hospital week, Wednesday Stella and I are going to Maidstone for me to have my PICC line fitted, this will take up most of the day. Thursday is my first chemotherapy session and later in the day I have an appointment to see my surgeon at Pembury, I am going to try and rearrange this as I don't know how I will respond to the chemotherapy.

I am still nervous but quite exited to get this phase underway, sooner I start the sooner I finish.

Just the medical at work later in the month where, hopefully, I will be signed off as fit for light duties. I love it when a plan comes together!

1 comment: