Tuesday 10 January 2012

Birthday week

This last week I went to the gym for the first time since I was diagnosed back in September. Initially I used the the machines in the 'express area' these use tensioned cables rather than weight plates, after a workout using these machines I had a go on some of the heavier chest workout machines. I can't use free weights at the moment because the stoma is cut through my stomach wall picking the weights up and balancing them for exercise would put too much strain on my stomach possibly causing more muscle damage. I suspect my days of washboard abs and ripped pecs are behind me, despite this I intend to go to once a week to supplement my cycling.

I managed to get out on both my mountain bike and my motorbike (a first since September) this weekend. Paul, Our son in law or as I prefer to think bespoiler of our daughter, came with me for the cycle ride; having someone else with me gave me the confidence to go much further off road than I had previously dared. Despite the fact that I had to rest frequently we completed the biggest circuit I have done since early last year. This represents a massive psychological achievement.
I took my motorbike on a 30 mile circuit of country lanes, using these mostly empty lanes allowed me do some 'spirited' riding. I was a little rusty but got into the groove fairley quickly, the only problem I had was not being able to completely do the flies up on my leather jeans this caused a worryingly unpleasent cold draught.

Martha gave me a Birthday card on Friday last week. In the true spirit of recycling she put my age at 53 (a year out) and told me it doesn't matter and that I could use it next year. It is a lovely card though.

No comments:

Post a Comment