Thursday 12 April 2012

Bitter Sweet Affair

Well that's the last of the injections, another milestone. I'm feeling much more comfortable and am staying up for longer periods.
I had my first ride in a car since coming back from hospital on Tuesday, we went to the doctor's surgery. I felt like I had escaped from my confinement and enjoyed this (minor) trip.
I still have a urinary infection and am on my third set of antibiotics. The problem is that I can't drink enough to flush out the infection without flushing everything through my stoma and becoming dehydrated. Like most things I have to find a balance, I have to drink enough to clear the infection but maintain good hydration to this end I am drinking re hydration drinks as well as water and juice. Our GP says that clearing the infection may take some time and involve low dose antibiotics for a long period. However, the situation is definitely improving and I generally feel better.

My niece is backpacking around the Far East at the moment and was caught up in the recent tsunami scare. Despite missing the evacuation bus from their hotel (!) her and her friend are both safe. What did we do before Facebook? Wouldn't have known anything about it I suppose.

We went to Sheila's funeral yesterday as well as being a bitter sweet affair this by far my longest trip and period without a rest to date. Bitter because it is heartbreaking to see Mum, Dad, relations and friends so upset; but also sweet, a glance around the congregation showed how broad Sheila's circle was encompassing very old as well as (relatively) new friends. For me, although sad, her mass was a celebration of her life. The wake was an opportunity to catch up with Uncle Dave who flew in from Canada for the funeral, other than going completely white haired he doesn't look a day older than the last time I saw him. There were people there that knew me and my cousins when we were toddlers, more than once I heard "Is that Mary's boy Johnny?" and would become embroiled in a conversation with someone that knew me far better than I knew them. I have to say I enjoyed it.
Sheila's funeral was a landmark goal target for me, I was determined to be fit enough to go. I'm so glad we did.

I have set two more milestones, coffee up the town with Stella (a date!) and a walk around Knole park. Slowly but surely I'm coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment