Monday 17 October 2011

Home - week end catch up

Stella has updated this blog while I have been in hospital so I am just going to put a few sentences down from notes I made while I was on the ward:

12 Oct: Had the (stoma) operation this afternoon, Stella left me just before I had the anaesthetic, came too on Pye Oliver ward at Maidstone hospital I couldn't eat anything but had a comfortable night: Thank heaven for Morphine!
Mananged to walk to the loo in the night - good effort!

13 Oct: Stoma seems to be healing fine and passing 'matter'.
Showered myself this morning that felt great!
Had a chat with the stoma nurse, changed my bag with help and successfully cut the hole in a new bag.
Both my cancer nurses popped in to see me today they were, as ever, very friendly and supportive.
Mum and Dad rang and I was able to have aconversation with them. Stella came in at Lunch time, it was good to see her again.
Stomach feels tender but not too uncomfortable, the morphine is wearing off.
LOADS OF VISITORS in the afternoon and evening.

14 Oct: More pain today as the morphine continues to wear off, feeling more bruised.
Should be going home tomorrow (Saturday)depending on how much matter I pass (less than 1200mm in a 24 hour period). Feeling more tired today although still managed a decent shower, took my bag off for it - a first!

15 Oct: Produced matter from both my 'tail end' and through my stoma - extraordinary experience. My consultant explianed that this would happen until the remains of matter left in my unused section of bowel was clear.
Going home, Stella is picking me up - I could cry! All the staff have been wonderful and the food is good but I can't wait to be home. I must ask the visiting stoma nurse about some kind of 'girdle' support for the bag to take the weight off my bruised and distended stomach muscles.

17 Oct: Moving about more at home has made me a bit mored tired than I anticipated and I have produced more matter from both ends, I spoke to the stoma nurse on the phone today, she told me that this is to be expected and is perfectly normal - phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment