Wednesday 12 October 2011

Update from Stella

Subsequent to John writing his short blog update I noticed a familiar willowy figure of a woman report to oncology reception. It was the wife of one of John's old colleagues from his Larkfield days in Kent Fire Brigade. I smiled over at her but she seemed not to recognise us so we went over to say hello. "Hello. Jackie?" said John. "Yes" said Jackie quizzically. "It's John.....John Day". Then she recognised us and we kissed each other on the cheeks. We can't have seen her for at least ten years but sometimes time just seems to melt away. Dave her husband came in afterwards (he'd been parking the car) and we must have chatted for a good hour. Jackie has begun her second fight with breast cancer.....this time the other breast. She's risen to the challenge and is looking fantastic. What an inspirational woman!
Finally we were called back to the admissions lounge where John's particulars were all taken down again. He was given his gown, a pair of paper pants and a pair of white support stockings. (I have photos....tee hee). After a short wait (which I'm sure seemed interminable to John) we were called to theatre reception. John's surgeon appeared in his theatre blues and then at about 12.40 I said goodbye to John as he was taken by the hand and walked to theatre. I was told the operation would only take about half an hour and decided to visit with John's parents who live close by and give them a progress report.
I phoned the hospital at 2.10 to hear that John was still in theatre. That had me worried and I asked them to ring me on my mobile when he was out of theatre. I went for a walk and at about 3.00 they rang. John was in recovery and all went well. They told me to ring the ward a little later to see if he'd arrived there. I rang about 4.00. John was "resting". I saw no point in visiting him and went home.
John's parents went into see him at 6.30. He's well but woozy. That's about all I can say. The main thing is the treatment has started and every day is a day closer to getting this whole thing over with. I'll be updating the blog for a while but I suspect John will be out of hospital asap.......Saturday, I reckon.
Thanks for all your support guys.xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment