Thursday 3 November 2011

Cycling and stoma visit

I managed to get out for a ride on my mountain bike yesterday, under strict orders not go 'off road'. I only did 6-7 miles on quiet country lanes but it was a 'shake down' test to see if I could ride comfortably in my cycling gear. I could and it was great to get out the weather was just right, not too hot or cold. Now I can start to build on the distance and identify natural resting points along the way.

I had an appointment with the stoma nurse at Pembury today, I was a bit nervous because I knew she would want to pull out the remaining stitches around the stoma. Stella said not to worry as it doesn't hurt; she lied!
She was comparing her experience of having caesarean stitches removed, what she didn't take into account is my much lower pain threshold.
Still the nurse was very gentle and gave me lots of 'freebies' to silence my pathetic whinging.

1 comment:

  1. Hi John,

    I stumbled across your blog as I live in the side bar of Dave Waterman's blog (as you do now). I work occasionally (I'd meet him every few months)with a guy who has come out the other end of what you are now going through (August 10 August 11) and apart from the lack of energy that the whole thing brought about he is back to himself. I think for anybody over 40 cancer is still a very scary subject but that has more to do with our parents generation than anything else.

    I'll be following your blog from now on - it beats working and it is more entertaining/informative!

    ReplyDelete