Tuesday 22 November 2011

The hard ware


This is the machine that fires x-rays into my body. The tattoos on my hips and back are the coordinates for the cross section of my bowel that needs to be hit but fine point adjustments made on a day to day basis ensure the whole tumour gets an even dose of radiation. Ultimately it is this that shrinks the tumour in preparation for surgery. I lay on the bed (out of shot) with my face in the blue pillow in this photo. Adjusting my body takes far longer than the actual irradiating which is less than 10 minutes at a time.

I think this machine looks like a giant spot welder (for those of an engineering bent) which is pretty much what its doing to me.

I had conversation with a friend this week who had bowel cancer last year, his words were " the treatment is rough and you'll feel shit for about a year but you will come out the other side". His words are pretty much echoed by my consultant only in less colouful, more techically detailed language. It is reassuring to here from people, particularly a friend in this case, who have been through this experience it all helps build confidence.

I am begining to feel some minor side effects of both the Chemo and Radio therapy. The Chemo side effects manifest themselves with minor irritation in my stoma and in the surrounding scar tissue, a slightly 'rasping' throat and soreness in my eyes. The Radio therapy side effect is limited to a slight tenderness in the skin on my hips.
These are very minor and easily controlled, aqueous cream for the hips and eye drops for my eyes, so far I have not felt any nausea (a definite plus!). It is early days and I will keep an eye on the stoma and throat situation. I do find that I get more tired now by 4 o'clock in the afternoon I need an hours sleep, I call this 'powering down'. This nap allows me to stay up later in the evening but I am still normally in bed by 9:30.
My weight has increased slightly to 13st 5lbs, I am told this a good thing, even though none of it is increased muscle mass!

No comments:

Post a Comment