Tuesday 8 November 2011

Good days Bad days

I have had to think about how this blog will be read; sometimes when I'm on my own, mostly in the shower, the fear of my cancer threatens to overwhelm me, I  rationalise my position and fall back on this mantra: 'I am in the hands of experts, the plan is sound, the prognosis is good' but occasionally my strength falters. Fortunately, Stella has managed to get released from work for the period of my treatment, this is a huge relief as when I waver her resolution gives me strength.
A friend recently reminded me of Lance Armstrong's autobiography and the inspirational way he dealt with his cancer(s). I have read his (original) account and it seems to me that he is a very determined, mentally strong and goal driven individual. Like him I have a goal; June 2012 to be on my board in the surf at Croyde, I accept that it is smaller than winning the Tour de France but I am equally determined to achieve it.

We had a great weekend seeing all our children and grandchildren over both days, fireworks on Saturday and a sumptuous lunch on Sunday I have returned to the wine drinking fraternity!
Yesterday I managed another outing on my mountain bike and went further than before. I 'pushed the envelope' a little too much and am paying the price today but it was worth it.
I continue to receive positive and encouraging comments and they are a tremendous fillip to me. I do read all the comments although I don't respond, this is down to to my inability to use the technology. I intend to correct this over the coming months.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the wine drinking fraternity, John!

    Much love,

    Le homme de l'eau

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great thing you're doing here John.
    You write well and make it interesting.
    I'm sure anyone facing a similar ordeal will be heartened by your courage, positive attitude, and determination.
    We're all very proud of you.
    Uncle Dave.

    ReplyDelete