Monday 28 November 2011

Progress report

I contracted a cold this weekend, it started on Friday and was in full swing by Sunday. I felt very rough right through and spent a lot of time in bed popping cold remedies like sweets (marshmallows!). The Chemotherapy depletes my immune system and makes me susceptible to infections this was a relatively minor cold but it knocked me for six.
 Additionally, this weekend I had a lot of discomfort in my bowel spending quite a lot of time in the toilet passing matter, mucus and some blood (this was very light staining and could not be described as bleeding), all a little disconcerting.

I felt much better today following my abuse of cold remedies, Stella and I saw my Oncologist, this was the opportunity to find out how the treatment is going, what will follow and clear up some nagging questions.
  •  The 5 week 'plan' is the total amount of Radiotherapy and should conclude the Chemotherapy, I had been concerned that this plan may vary.
  • There will be a 6 week rest period following completion of this treatment package. In this period I will have CT and MRI scans.
  • Surgery will follow very soon after the 6 weeks (last week in January, first week in February).
  • A decision will be made on the material removed and there may be some 'mop up' Chemo therapy.
  • The passing matter issue (above) is perfectly normal and a result of the treatment.
  • I can take pain/IBS relief, it won't affect the Chemotherapy.
  • I can resume taking a multivitamin to supplement my diet.
Everytime I meet with experts at the Oncology Centre I feel reassured and positive about the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment